2018 Harley-Davidson® Sportster - Forty-Eight
The Harley-Davidson® Shop at the Beach
Sportster - Forty-Eight
The first time the world saw this iconic 2.1-gallon gas tank was in 1948. But the world has never seen it sitting atop anything quite like this.
Styling & Features
- 1200 cc Air-Cooled Evolution® Engine: An iconic V-Twin engine that is renowned for its massive low-end torque and soul-satisfying sound. Lightweight aluminum heads and cylinders improve air-cooling efficiency.
- Fat Front Wheel: Custom rubber reminiscent of the lead-sled culture. You get a beefy front end with a tall, fat MT90 tire that gives the bike a dominating presence up front and provides a smooth ride and solid handling.
- 49mm Fork with Cartridge Dampening: The brawny 49mm front fork is accentuated by massive triple clamps and fork brace. We've also added cartridge dampening technology to keep the handling crisp and confident, no matter how rough or winding the road ahead.
- Emulsion Rear Shock with Screw Adjuster: Features an Emulsion rear shock with a screw pre-load adjuster that soaks up every bump the street throws your way, and easily adjusts to fit your riding style.
- Split 9-Spoke Cast Aluminum Wheels: A set of black hardcore rims with added machined highlights to set off the design. They're built of lightweight cast aluminum, so even with the plentitude of fat black rubber rolling underneath the ride feels light and nimble.
- Foundation Brake System: An innovative, high-performing system that gives riders more confidence on the road and more power and predictability when you squeeze the brakes.
- Iconic 2.1 Gallon Fuel Tank: A classic peanut fuel tank design that adds to the machine's low, powerful bulldog look, showing off the solid mass of the engine and the rawboned style of the lean Sportster® frame.
- Engine: Air-cooled, Evolution®
- Bore: 3.5 in.
- Stroke: 3.8 in.
- Displacement: 73.4 cu. in.
- Compression Ratio: 10:01
- Fuel System: Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Exhaust: Black, staggered exhaust with slash-cut mufflers
- Length: 85.2 in.
- Seat Height, Laden: 26.2 in.
- Seat Height, Unladen: 28 in.
- Ground Clearance: 4.3 in.
- Rake (steering head) (deg): 30.2 deg.
- Trail: 5.3 in.
- Wheelbase: 58.9 in.
- Tires, Front Specification: 130/90B16 73H
- Tires, Rear Specification: 150/80B16 77H
- Fuel Capacity: 2.1 gal.
- Oil Capacity (w/filter): 2.8 qt.
- Weight, As Shipped: 545 lb.
- Weight, In Running Order: 556 lb.
- Engine Torque Testing Method: J1349
- Engine Torque: 73 ft-lb
- Engine Torque (rpm): 3,500
- Lean Angle, Right (deg.): 27.1
- Lean Angle, Left (deg.): 27.1
- Fuel Economy: Estimated City/Hwy: 48 mpg
- Primary Drive: Chain, 38/57 ratio
- Gear Ratios (overall) st: 9.315
- Gear Ratios (overall) nd: 6.653
- Gear Ratios (overall) rd: 4.948
- Gear Ratios (overall) th: 4.102
- Gear Ratios (overall) th: 3.517
- Wheels, Front Type: Black, Split 9-Spoke Cast Aluminum w/ Machined Highlights
- Wheels, Rear Type: Black, Split 9-Spoke Cast Aluminum w/ Machined Highlights
- Brakes, Caliper Type: Dual-piston front, Dual-piston rear deg.
- Lights (as per country regulation), Indicator Lamps: High beam, neutral, low oil pressure, turn signals, engine diagnostics, low fuel warning, low battery, security system (optional)
- Gauges: Handlebar-mounted electronic speedometer with odometer, time-of-day clock, dual tripmeter, low fuel warning light, low oil pressure light, engine diagnostics readout, LED indicator lights
- Engine Type
- Air-cooled, Evolution®
- 73.4 cu. in.
- Compression Ratio
- Fuel System
- Electronic Sequential Port Fuel Injection (ESPFI)
- Front Tire
- 130/90B16 73H
- Rear Tire
- 150/80B16 77H
- 58.9 in.
- Seat Height
- 26.2 in.
- 30.2 deg.
- 5.3 in.
- Fuel Capacity
- 2.1 gal.
- 48 mpg
- Dry Weight
- 545 lb.